|“…lucky for some…”|
Just as opening an umbrella indoors, breaking a mirror or an owl sitting on the roof are considered symbols of bad luck, Friday the 13th is also considered to be a day that brings nothing but bad luck. The origins of this day are unknown, but there seem to be many origin stories about how this day emerged.
Some believe that this myth or superstition has biblical origins. The seating arrangement at the Last Supper is believed to have given rise to a long standing Christian superstition that having 13 guests at a table is bad luck, because Jesus was sitting with his 12 disciples the day before he was crucified and one them betrayed him. That is why it is believed that when hosting a dinner your guests should not be exactly 13. The union of this day and date can also be traced back to the event whereby King Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of Knights Templar on Friday 13 October 1307.
Things to avoid on Friday the 13th.
- Crossing paths with black cats, they are considered to be an omen of doom.
- Putting new shoes on the table, you could be risking a family member’s death.
- Opening an umbrella indoors, it brings bad luck to you and the entire building.
- Walking under a ladder, brings bad luck if it happens that you do. Spit three times through the ladder’s rungs or cross your fingers until you see a dog.
- Buildings with a 13th floor and sitting on the 13th seat at a dinner table.
- Breaking a mirror, they are known to bring seven years of bad luck so keep your distance
- Going outside the house, just stay indoors! This day as a whole is considered to be a very unlucky day.
If you want to know when the next Friday the 13th is, have a look a look at your calendar and check which month begins on a Sunday.