The Clarens Sector Police Forum (SPF) is promulgated in accordance with Section 18 of the SAPS act no 68 of 1995. Consisting of volunteers only, we serve the greater Clarens community. Being at the coalface of crime prevention our main aim is to maintain the reputation of Clarens as a safe and crime free tourist destination. Everyone does however need to play their part, not only by becoming a member, but also by reporting all crime and staying vigalent. (See helpful hints below.)
CONTACT: Johann Lehman on 083 447 9925
Funding: The Clarens Sector Police Form (SPF) is a voluntary organisation, and dependent on membership for funds. They are also involved in various fundraising events, the most important of which is probably the annual Clarens Macnollie held in September.
Click here to find out more about the Macnollie event
Click here to become a member of the SPF
KEEPING OUR TOWN CRIME FREE
Keeping our town crime free is everyone’s responsibility and all crime should be reported to the police station.
Charge office – 058 256 6001 and 058 256 6002
Officer on duty – 082 466 8904
In an effort to co-ordinate crime statistics The Sector Police Forum also ask that anyone who has not received a case number for crimes reported to the police to please contact the Sector Police Forum. Phone Johann Lehman on 083 447 9925
The SAPS has issued a standard invitation to all Clarenites to vet prospective employees by supplying them with a copy of their ID`s. Please support this initiative!
We try and concentrate on pro-active rather than re-active policing. Patrolling around the square during weekend daylight hours and night and day time patrols of the residential areas (especially hotspots as identified by the SAPS) has produced the required results.
The majority of reported incidents in Clarens are opportunistic in nature. The harsh reality is that we cannot, despite the best of intentions, prevent crime from occurring.
The best solution is to sensitize our locals and especially our visitors to take basic precautions. Herewith a couple of pointers:
– Advise visitors about the incidents of vehicle theft. Ensure that vehicles are kept behind locked gates or in a well lit area.
– Keep doors (back and front) locked – especially when you are braaing at the back of the house!
– Do not leave windows without burglar bars open at night.
– Do not leave valuables (laptops, cell-phones, cameras, wallets etc) in plain sight.
– Never, never take in someone from the street offering a car wash or any other service – never ever!
– For the locals especially – never, ever employ anybody without thoroughly checking references. The SAPS will gladly assist with a background check if you supply them with a copy of ID.
Clarens News: January 2014: Curbing Crime in Clarens
Clarens News: September 2014: Richard Rennie original raffle